2015年4月27日 星期一

Returning to this moment


One student who had been overseas for three years recently returned to the zen center for a visit. He was so happy that he could join the practice and go in for a kong-an interview.

Student : Sifu, I really miss Hong Kong and the practice. It has not been easy for me to live in the West. I need to work very hard and put it all down to survive. On the other hand, this foreign place is very quiet, and there aren't that many distractions. I live a simple life. But I miss Hong Kong so much, especially practicing together at the zen center. Sifu, when can I come back to Hong Kong?

Sifu : Now you are in Hong Kong.

The student sat in silence and then suddenly said : Correct, Sifu, now I am at the zen center. This is correct zen practice.

Commentary :

Zen practice means live in this very moment. If we think our life is here, zen is over there, or some other place, that is not correct practice. Zen Master Seung Sahn always taught us to keep clear moment to moment, when you are doing something, just 100% do it. If we are in Hong Kong but we think about New York, then this thinking is already separating our mind from this very situation. If we let go of this thinking, then we can completely return our mind to this moment. Very simple.